1. What are the ingredients of Elixir? The ingredients of Elixir are simple and pure; filtered Water and specialty grade coffee roasted by the best roasters from around the world. Elixir is completely vegan, with no preservatives, flavourings, sugar, or any other nasties added.
2. What's the brew method? Well the brew method is a secret...but we can confirm that the magic of unicorns may or may not be involved!
3. Those Numbers written on the front of the bottle are the number of hours your Elixir has been brewed for.
4. What's with the sound waves? If you'd like to know what music is used for your Elixir; subscribers and those who purchase Elixir online will find that information on a card in the box when they receive their Elixir, otherwise simply ask your friendly Elixir Dealer when you're purchasing it in-store. You're always welcome to contact us here with the details of where you got your Elixir, the number on the front, and the origin country on the tamper sticker, and we'll track the batch for you!
5. How much caffeine is in Elixir? Yes, Elixir has caffeine in it and we have had it tested! Generally speaking, the lower hours (5-10), as indicated on the front of the bottle, have the equivalent caffeine content to about a cup of tea. The mid range hours (11-15) have about the same caffeine as an espresso. And the later hours (16-20) have the caffeine content equivalent to a cup of brewed coffee.
Also, you'll notice that the caffeine affect is somewhat different to when you drink regular coffee or espresso. Rather than the usual aggressive, jittery caffeine hit you might experience with your usual caffeinated beverage, people continue to report a gentle but unmistakable vibrancy of the senses upon drinking Elixir.
You're also unlikely to experience the same "coffee crash" you get from regular coffee, cold brew or espresso based beverages. PLEASE remember, everything we eat and drink affects each of us differently based on our body composition, mood, gut bacteria, and general health. Caffeine is no different. This is why some people can have an espresso before bed and others can't have one after 2pm. We encourage you to take these caffeine ranges as a guide and always listen to what your body is telling you about what it needs and doesn't need #biochemisty
6. Is Elixir Alcoholic? Elixir on it's own is 100% non-alcoholic, even though you may notices hints of whiskey and wine notes from time to time, this is an expression of the coffee from the brew method. These flavours are a natural part of the experience for different hours of Elixir. No alcohol is present as a result of the Elixirfication process.
7. Do the later hours taste stronger? Rather than stronger, it would be more accurate to say Elixir tastes "more complex" as you work your way from the lower hours to the later hours in the Elixir rainbow.
An Elixir Rainbow is the spectrum of Elixir brew hours from hours 1-24. If you get the opportunity to make your way to an Elixir Rainbow Tasting Event, you're in for a treat! (join our mailing list for details). You'll get to experience the crazy dynamic of how the Elixir flavour profile evolves over the span of a full Elixir Rainbow.
It's a little mind-blowing-ly strange in the best way possible. The closest we can get to accurately describing this very unique palate experience is to liken to what you might imagine 3D flavour profiling would be like. Different flavour notes become more and less pronounced with every sip and long into the after taste. That lingering aftertaste is divine and has been known to keep developing and changing for up to two minutes!
8. How should I drink it? Elixir can be drunk cold or at room temperature but should be stored in the fridge. It changes flavour as it changes temp in the same way that most fine beverages do.
If you're on one of our monthly Elixir subscriptions or receiving Elixir from our online retail store, once your Elixir arrives, put it in the fridge and wait for it to chill before you open it! That being said, Elixir can enjoyed at room temperature or chilled and tastes rather different at different temperatures for a number of reasons.
If you can serve it in a stemless white wine glass, please do. Start with the Aroma! Then try the 2 hours we send you side-by-side, going backwards and forwards between each hour. Firstly drink it chilled and then warm the glass in your hands to bring it to room temperature. You will notice a change in flavour based on how sensitive your palette is!
Different people have different preferences on whether they prefer the earlier or later hours and whether they prefer it chilled or at room temperature. Because we change our featured roaster of the month every month, this may change for you based on the different Elixir's you try. Either way, the sensory experience is SO MUCH FUN and will evolve the more you build your relationship with Elixir.
9. Should I drink Elixir with my meal? You sure should! It brightens the palate with ever sip and heightens culinary experiences like you wouldn't image! Perfect to serve at dinner parties, brunches, lunches etc. with a meal for guests who don't drink wine...or who do!
10. Should I add milk or sugar to my Elixir? For the same reasons that you wouldn't add milk or sugar to red wine we recommend that you don't add milk or sugar to Elixir.
Elixir gives you the very rare opportunity to taste the flavour profiles of different single origin coffees in their purest forms. People who don't usually like the flavour of coffee LOVE Elixir.
It's the cleanest way you'll ever taste coffee, guaranteed. We're all about Purity, Clarity and Authenticity at Elixir Specialty Coffee and work hard to bring that experience to you in the Elixir we create by carefully working with our selected coffee roasters and creating the water we think works best for our process! It would be such a shame to ruin all that meticulous work by masking it with sugar or milk/mylk!
11. Please describe what Elixir tastes like? If you've never had Elixir before, the best way to describe it is "It looks like whiskey, feels like tea, made from coffee, and unlike anything you've ever tasted before.". We know that sounds like "not a real description" but we promise, like so many that have come before you and said the same thing, you'll understand once you've tasted it for the first time, it really is the best way to describe it given its uniqueness.
12. What is the shelf life of my Elixir? Commencing January 2019, the shelf life of Elixir will be 12 months. You'll find a sticker on the bottom of your bottle with the "best before date".
Your Elixir should be stored in a cool dark place before opening. Once opened you should store it in the fridge and consume it within a few days.
13. Do you ship worldwide? We're super excited to announce that we finally do ship selected product worldwide from our online store via USPS 3-5 Day international express shipping. Please note though, the prices you'll see for worldwide shipping aren't cheap. We just pass on the price we're quoted from USPS.
14. One last thing...many people who usual get a sore stomach from drinking hot varieties of coffee and cold brew coffee have told us that they don't experience the same stomach issues with Elixir. We're not Doctor's so we're just passing that info on...we're not stating that Elixir cure's anything or is a medicine of any kind. Just passing on the info!
If you have any further questions and would like to get in contact, please connect with us on our social platforms at either Facebook or Instagram @elixirspecialtycoffee by commenting or private messaging or via our contact page here.